Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Indulge me, please

OK, it's bad enough that I've sorely neglected this blog, but now I'm going to add insult to injury--by whining.

As you may be aware, Kevin was laid off from his job a couple of weeks ago, and today is his last day on the job. Unfortunately, I'm not handling this very well. I come by this worry-wart gene honestly, thanks to my mom, and I'm having difficulty eating, sleeping and concentrating. I've been extremely busy, working on my resume, trying to set up childcare, discussing jobs with people and doing some temporary work, but it's very difficult to get everything done right now, especially since Kevin has continued working 12-hour days, plus I can't put the kids in childcare until I actually have a job, and I've recently had to put in several volunteer hours (which I committed to prior to Kevin losing his job) at Nina's school. And oh yeah, somone ran into my van last week so I've been dealing with insurance companies, the body shop and a Enterprise Rental. Life has not been dull around here.

So anyway, I think what I really need to do is get a full-time job. Kevin has several job leads but nothing yet, and I'm really worried about health insurance. There's a chance that he'll start his own construction management company, so then I would really need to be the one with employer-subsidized coverage.

I know that moms everywhere have to deal with difficult childcare decisions, and I realize how lucky I've been the last few years. Staying home with the kids will no longer be feasible for us, and it's a terrible time of year to be searching for after-school care, daycare, etc. I had really hoped to wait until fall, but our timetable has moved up.

What a terrible time to be job searching, especially when you've been out of the workforce for a few years. My options are limited, but I'm hoping I can find an entry-level job with a very good company that offers the chance for advancement and has a corporate communications department. St. Jude Children's Research Hopsital would be ideal, but there are few openings there and fewer still for which I'm qualified. Why didn't I get a medical degree?

So that's enough whining for now. Off to the classifieds.

No comments: