Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Regarding Ed Hochuli

As an NFL fan and fantasy football aficionado, I was pretty upset with the way the San Diego-Denver game ended Sunday. It had no direct effect on me, as I'm not really a fan of either team and I had no fantasy dogs in that fight (I lost both my matchups last weekend after posting two wins in the first week).

But I was angry with
Ed Hochuli and felt (rightfully so) that he handed the game to the Chargers. I'm not a big Hochuli fan to begin with, mostly because I don't understand why an NFL official is so high profile and why so many women worship him. (Personally, I like Mike Carey better and think he's much more handsome that Hochuli.)

But c'mon,
hate mail and death threats because the guy made a mistake in a split-second call during a very competitive, high-adrenaline football game? Get a life!

Here's a
great column by San Diego Union Tribune columnist Tim Sullivan. I found it very persuasive, and I forgive Ed Hochuli, which I'm sure is a big relief for him. The man has admitted his mistake and apologized profusely, and there's nothing he can say or do now to fix the mistake that NFL rules wouldn't allow to be corrected by replay.

In light of the way he's handled this unfortunate incident, I now count myself among the many fans of Ed Hochuli. The world would be a better place if more people admitted their mistakes with such candor, honesty, contrition and integrity.

No comments: