Saturday, September 13, 2008

Ahhh, festival season in Memphis. Just about my favorite time of year. Here are some fun happenings in town the next couple of weeks.

The Cooper-Young Festival is today, and Kevin and I plan to attend on our date night (the kids are headed to Grandma's).

Next weekend is Wifflestock, promising "Two days of peace, love and wiffle" to benefit the wonderful Ronald McDonald House. Think we'll gather up a few kids and hit the moon bounce.

We'll probably do that instead of attending the Mid-South Fair, which begins Sept. 19. We rarely attend the fair any more, as it's just gotten too expensive, too commercial and too crowded. I'm sad to see it leave the Fairgrounds after all these years, but I hope revamping the event might bring it back to its former glory.

I can remember attending every year when I was a kid, but it's just not the same and doesn't hold much appeal for my family. For the $100-plus we'd spend in one day there, we instead buy a year's membership to the Children's Museum of Memphis or the Memphis Zoo and even have a little left over for lunch.

See you at Cooper-Young.

No comments: