Tuesday, October 14, 2008

For those of you who aren't huge NFL fans and haven't already heard about it, I want to share the feel-good story of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Earnest Graham making a huge sacrifice for his team this weekend. Graham, the Bucs' starting running back, volunteered to play fullback when both the starting and second-string fullbacks were out with injuries. This meant putting his body on the line the entire game to allow Warrick Dunn to gain the glory. Not only did Graham take the job, be he excelled at it, helping Dunn to amass 115 yards on 22 carries.

Head coach Jon Gruden couldn't stop gushing about Graham's sacrifice and performance in Tampa Bay's 27-3 victory over the Carolina Panthers, and Dunn and QB Jeff Garcia also sang Graham's praises. Said Dunn: "That was one of the most unselfish acts I've seen on a football field in a long time."

So it's no surprise that Graham was gracious and humble in discussing his contribution.

"I feel proud to be able to block for Warrick. It was the most fun I've had in a game, period. I had a blast.''

So now I have a new sports hero, and Kevin will be delighted to hear me gush about someone other than Tiger Woods and Peyton Manning.

No comments: