Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The election and civility

Obviously, the stakes are high in this presidential election. As voting day approaches, the extremes in both major parties are often, unfortunately, the loudest voices. There are some hateful things being said on the campaign trail, and it's disheartening.

So I really enjoyed Clarence Page's syndicated commentary on McCain and civility, which ran in today's Commercial Appeal. Page praises McCain for damping down the flames of hate and ignorance.

Regarding some recent outbursts at political rallies, Page said: "It is as if a large number of Americans suddenly woke up one morning to a shocking discovery: A guy who did not share their politics or physical appearance or European name might be elected president. Don't get me wrong: I don't think that's how most Republicans think any more than I think 'Abort Sarah Palin' bumper stickers, which I find loathsome, are approved by most Democrats."

Like Page, I would like to see a return to civility in this election, not only among the candidates, but in the electorate as well.

No comments: