Sunday, January 18, 2009

Flight 1549

UPDATE: Phooey! Sully postponed the interview.

I've been a junkie for information on U.S. Airways Flight 1549, and I'll definitely be tuned into the Today show tomorrow to see the interview with Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger III. I find the story absolutely fascinating, an almost unbelievable example of everything going right in what could have easily been a tragedy. I imagine the pilots and flight attendants spent untold hours in safety training in their many years in the industry, and all that training served 155 people well that day. The ferry-boat operators and passengers and first responders who sprang into action without even thinking about their own safety--they're all heroes. Not to mention the passengers, who for the most part remined calm-headed in the ordeal, and many of them helped one another to safety. And every one of them I've seen interviewed has expressed much gratitude for the quick thinking. professionalism and selfishness that saved their lives.

This story just gives me faith in humanity, and I can't get enough of it.

No comments: